Skip to main content

Week at the Boyacks - catch up

Now it's time to catch up on reporting what's been happening around the Boyack house for the past couple of weeks... I'm not home much so I'm not too sure.  LOL.  We've been very busy.  we started school.  Hannah is going to Central High School again.  She has a full schedule including two choir classes, Honors English, biology, geometry, geography, and .  Lillian is still doing school at home.  Chad begins school at Chemeketa Community College tomorrow.  Case is still coming to see us everyday.  His mom is trying to get him into a Headstart program.

We opened and closed The Secret Garden.  I got my hair done for opening night.  The girl working on the show doing hair did it for me.  She put in some red highlights.  That was fun.

Ray got a job in LaGrande.  Kimber and Ben stayed with us.  Ben likes us, but he wanted to go home... especially when Kimber went to the final rehearsals for The Secret Garden.  Sad little boy.  He would stand by the door until he fell asleep.  Chad and John were after in charge.  Ben just wasn't interested in them much, however.  At least he really liked Lilli. He was always happy to see her.

 Before they left, Kimber took Ben and Case to a picnic with Yvonne.  They got to play with rockets.  They had tons of fun doing that.  I think these two little friends are going to miss each other.
  Kimber spent days packing up their little apartment while Ben played at our house.  At first, we didn't think she would need very many boxes.  We were wrong.  It is always a big surprise to find out that you have that much stuff!  When Ben went to visit the apartment, he was not happy!  It didn't look like his house anymore.  The longer he didn't get to go home the grumpier he became.  LOL.  Still... he is a very good nature little guy.

 Only Yvonne, Jacob, Chad, Hannah and I turned up on moving day.  I was sad that no one from Kimber's ward bothered to check and see if she needed help.  I know she would say she was fine, but come on!  She has never moved.  She is young.  How would she know that moving is overwhelming!  Yvonne had to leave after an hour.  I had to help the boys re-pack the trailer after I cleaned the kitchen.  There was no way that we were getting all the furniture and boxes into the trailer we borrowed from the scouts.  In the end, we filled the trailer, my Jessops Excursion and our suburban.  After we got it all in the trucks, I had to leave for a doctor's appointment.  Yvonne came back, and Kimber's visiting teacher showed up and they finished cleaning the apartment.  It took all day.
 Saturday morning they packed into the trucks and drove to LaGrande to meet Ray.  Sad day.  It's a huge bummer that Ben and Kimber don't walk over every day.  It's a huge bummer that Kimber won't be around to watch Lilli's games or dances or to see Hannah perform.  We will miss them.
 Lillian went on the trip with John.  It was a very long day for them... especially for John.  They stopped on the way back to get a new water heater because our water heater died.  Let me tell you... cold showers bring back a few memories from my childhood.  LOL.
Ben was happy to see his dad... and to get a pop cycle.  I have trained him well.  LOL.
 I am going to miss this face.... sigh.
We harvested a ton of tomatoes so far from the garden.  We were able to can 21 quarts of tomatoes and 56 pints of salsa... and we are not done yet!
 This year I have new canning partners.  Hannah was a good helper.  I told her she had to be if she wanted the salsa.  John helped too.
 However, I didn't do peaches this year.  I still have tons form last year.  Hannah and I are the only ones eating them.  Chad refuses to eat them because they don't have nutritional information on them.  His lose... but it saves me tons of time... and money.
 Spiders are moving in flocks... do spiders move in flocks?  Let me tell you!  They are BIG! This spider was on the family room ceiling.  Chad climbed a ladder to get this particular spider.  Lillian FREAKED out.  I think she feels about spiders what I feel about snakes.
 Serious!  We are being invaded!  Look at the size of this SPIDER!  I'm beginning to side with Lillian on this one.
 Most of the past couple of weeks has been occupied with The Secret Garden.  Over all, it was a good experience.  I do have to say that I got a nasty note that made the mama bear want to come out in me... and I had a couple issues with attitudes... and I was sad that our numbers were so down (we never sold out)... and the toilets backed up one night... and an actor got very sick and we had to send him to the ER... all that aside, I loved this show.  I dreamed it and the actors met that dream.  The last few nights I didn't take notes.  I just sat and soaked it all in.  It truly was a moving, beautiful show.  People missed out.  I will miss these people.  Thankfully, I live with a couple of them and work with others closely, so I will still see them around.  Best part... my mom and dad got to see the show... Hannah and Lilli did a great job... Kimber created awesome dances... one of my best friends gave one of the most moving performances I have ever seen... one of my students (and super good friend) sounded amazing... feeling accomplished.


Catch you next week... if I have anything to report.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …