Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekly Report of the Boyack House

 Things are moving along here at the Boyack house.  One of my favorite times of day is teaching Seminary.  This past week I taught about the "awful monster" mentioned in 2 Nephi.  I drew this on the board.  I think it's pretty good for a stick-figure picture.  LOL.  I had the kids draw there own monsters too.  One kids drew a snake.  I agree.  One kid drew a guy stabbing a dragon.  Pretty impressive.  But, Hannah's picture made me laugh.  She drew a spider.  LOL.  Lillian would have to agree.  We are moving a little slowly.  I'm going to have to pick it a bit.  I am still in 2 Nephi.  It's hard to move forward when there is so much to teach and so little time to teach it.  Oh well... the main goal is to teach study stills.  They will need to be able to find these truths on there own soon enough.

Hannah and I spent our evening at the high school for the Fall play.  I was the Tech Director/Set Designer and went to support the director and solve problems.  Hannah was the lighting designer.  Originally, she was going to run lights too.  However, a nice boy sort of took over.  She only ran one night.  She still went "just in case."  The show went well enough.  For a high school production, they did alright.  I did think that this turned out to be one of my favorite sets.  The show only ran for 4 nights... then we ripped it all down.  There are concerts and auditions for the winter play scheduled for this week.  No time to dream about more performances. Moving on to the next thing in the auditorium.

I wish the school district cared more about the facility.  I was going to add an area mic so that the kids in the tech booth could hear the play, but I couldn't.  The 4 NEW area mics are missing.  They are not where I left them last.  We searched the entire auditorium, ASBEC room, choir room and cafeteria stage.  Nothing.  Not only does equipment go missing, but I often go in to help and end up spending hours repairing equipment that has been treated poorly and now can't be used.  They are loosing so much money and opportunity because they don't invest in protecting their investment.  My friend (who runs all the drama stuff) was told that he just needs to learn to run everything and run all the extra events.  Really?  The poor guy never goes home as it is.  He is the choir teacher, Student actives Director and the Drama Director for the school.  Not only is he responsible for teaching choir, drama, student government class, he is responsible for choir competitions and concerts, drama productions and competitions, students activities and assemblies, student dances, and link crew.  See why he never goes home?  He is doing the jobs or three people... without the pay of three people. (this is why I volunteer to do tech.  At least I can relieve some of his over-worked schedule).  Oh well... their lose in so many ways.

 I think the main problem is in priorities.  Our school district seems to think that the greatest achievements are those of student athletes.  Although, I admit, they are accomplishing great things as they keep up with sports and school, they are not they only successful jugglers in the school.  Many kids are balancing school work with  music, drama, student body activities, and even jobs.  Yet, I don't see the administration giving equal credit to all parties.  Some how, sports (football in particular) greats more attention and money than any other school activity.  Sadly, I think it must be the true for most schools.  It just makes me maddest at this school.

On Friday I went to an assembly honoring kids that earned a good GPA.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I think we should honor kids that put their all into their studies.  That is not my problem.  My problem is that their "efforts" to make school cool are back firing.  I have not met one kid that thinks those assemblies are a good thing.  Even the kids getting the awards think the assembly is dumb.  However, my main problem with the event wasn't all that... it was that the Superintendent made it very clear that the real honor goes to athletes.  As the students names were called, they were to walk up and shake the hand of the Superintendent and  the principle. It was all very formal... with the exception of the athletes.  The football players were grabbed by the administration and hugged with far more energy than the rest. It was very clear that these kids were considered"more special" than the other kids.  I do agree that it is amazing that they can keep their grades above a 3.0 while doing a sport with all the practices and games.  However, it is no more admirable than the kids that do the same thing while attending play rehearsal and performance.  The time commitment is the same people! In addition, the crowd was ask to refrain from clapping until all the names were read.  They were reminded every time someone whooped or clapped for someone they knew... except if that person was a football player.  Really!?!  The real accomplishment here is that these kids love to learn.  They have parents that make education a priority.  They are learning to be organized and to mange their time wisely.  They are holding themselves to a higher standard.  Football has nothing to do with it.  I'm tired of seeing this town make some school activities more important than others.  Their meager messages are back firing and most of the kids could care less about what they learn and how much they learn.

Oh well.  I am pleased with Hannah and her efforts to balance plays, concerts, and outside interests with her academic school work.  She drives herself to getting good grades. There is no need for us to bark at her to get homework done.  She has learned to love learning.  This is all her reward!

I should get off my soap box now.

 Saturday John got some pumpkins and helped Lillian and two friends make some jack-o-lanterns.  Poor Lillian.  John and I are getting old and are old fuddy-duddies.  We weren't too interested in going to a pumpkin patch.  We didn't ever really want to carve pumpkins.  Guilt got the better of us.  Thus, while Hannah and I went to the high school for the final performance, John and Lilli messed up the kitchen.  Lilli was happy.  We now have a rotting pumpkin on the porch.
Sunday I had a weird missionary experience.  I was sitting on the bench and noticed a girl in jeans come into the chapel and sit by herself at the end of the bench in front of me.  The little voice in my head said, "go ask her to sit by you."  I was in a good mood so I hopped up and and said she looked lonely and invited her to move back with me.  She did.  We chatted before the meeting and I learned that she was a student at Western learning sign language.  She was from a little town near Rainier, Washington n had recently moved to Monmouth. I asked her about her church experiences.  I asked what brought her to church and she said she followed the signs... they were all over town.  I giggled to myself.  She was really heading to the church next door.  But she stayed.  I whispered and explained what was happening at the beginning of the meeting.  During the Sacrament I felt impressed that I needed to give her a Book of Mormon and have her read 3 Nephi.  I whispered to John, who whispered to the guy passing the bread to us, who went and got a Book of Mormon from the missionaries.  I turned to 3 Nephi 11.  She read until the speaker got up to speak again.  She stayed until John and I left the bench to sing in the choir.  It was a bummer.

But I learned a couple things: A successful missionary is one that follow the promptings of the Spirit, not necessarily baptizing every person they talk to. A successful missionary is one that is friendly and is willing to share.  This girl may not have stayed at church.  She might not have wanted to talk to the missionaries.  She didn't keep the Book of Mormon I gave her.  However, I learned that my actions were actions of a good member missionary.  I was successful because I followed the Spirit.  I was successful because I was friendly.  I was successful because I was willing to share.  I learned that being a member missionary isn't really that hard.

2 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention you ruined Santa. lol! I love your stories mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Wendy! That whole assembly experience makes me shake my head. I have something to share with you that will make your feelings only deepen on the issue. I really think that formality needs to be maintained and upheld...SOMETHING needs to be taken seriously at the school besides the extracurricular (by adults and kids) (especially with its imbalanced support...it is sad. And, yes, I know that we all have different things that we enjoy, but an Academic Honors Assembly should be about what a person accomplishes for the classroom,

    Way to be a great missionary, Sis!

    ReplyDelete