Skip to main content

A Salad a Day: Take 2 , Days 24- 29

In case you are wondering... I have NOT abandon my goal of a salad a day.  It's been some of the busiest weeks for me... many events in the high school auditorium for me to be responsible for have kept me from the computer.  Those same evenat have kept me from making a bunch of new recipes.  Thankfully, I can find some quick alternitives.

For example, I was able to find a decent salad in the deli section of the grocery store on Wednesday.

Thursday we had a Cobb Salad
Ingredients
  • 5 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 1 cup diced ham
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
  • 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • For the Greek yogurt ranch
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 teaspoon dill
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions
  • To make the Greek yogurt ranch, whisk together Greek yogurt, buttermilk, dill, garlic powder, onion powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
  • To assemble the salad, place romaine lettuce in a large bowl; top with arranged rows of ham, tomatoes, avocado, eggs and goat cheese.
  • Serve immediately with Greek yogurt ranch
It was so good that it lasted through Friday (of course it mostly lasted because my kids aren't that into Salad).

Saturday was crazy busy with set building from 8:30am to noon; rehearsal from 12:00pm to 2:00pm; rehearsal for a special event from 2:00pm to 4:30pm; and the event from 6:00pm to 9:30pm.  I never really got to leave the HS.  But I have good friends that take care of me.  My friend Megan brought me a quinoa salad... Kirkland brand.  It was so yummy.  I will need to figure out how to make it.

There was enough salad to last through Sunday.

Monday we made your old Taco Salad. I didn't follow a recipe.  We just did what we always do... ground turkey, black beans, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, corn chips... you know. 

Tonight I am planning on making a Greek Pasta Salad:
5 oz dry Lasagnettes pasta, uncooked (about 1 ½ cups)
½ pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup cucumber, diced, seeded (peeled or unpeeled)
1 cup  pitted Kalamata olives, drained
½ cup red onion, diced
3 oz  good quality feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup Greek Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
Coarse ground black pepper
Oregano
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl, add tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onions, and feta cheese. Toss together. Drizzle dressing over pasta; toss to coat. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to 24 hours. Sprinkle black pepper and oregano. Makes 4-6 servings.
Cook’s Note: Play with the ingredients and adjust according to preference. There will be more dressing than you need for the salad. Save in the refrigerator for another day/salad. And, fresh herbs are best, but I didn’t have any, so I used dried.

Greek Salad Dressing

1 tsp. chili stone ground mustard*
¼ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. fine sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp. dried basil
Place all ingredients in a jar with lid, and shake well to mix. Store in the refrigerator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …