Skip to main content

CET 2014

It's been a couple months... I guess it's time to catch up reports of shows I've worked on.

This year was my third year working for CET (Children's Educational Theater).  It is the most intense job I have ever done.  I am the Tech director for the program.  As Tech Director I am responsible for designing, building, and staffing 3 main shows and three small shows in a 5 week period.  This is tough to do.  The kids in the picture are the kids I assign to shows.  The picture also includes the tech staff (myself, Dani, Haley - the teachers and Tyler, Kelli and Hannah - the teaching assistants).
All of us teach 3 classes a day, provide tech needs for the end-of-the-day program, and work nights two days a week to get the sets and props done for the shows.  This too, is harder than it sounds.  We do all this on little sleep and parent volunteers.  It's hard to manage and give meaningful jobs to every person that comes to a work night.

This year I designed a simple set to the director wishes for What Do You Say Dear? - the park show performed in Bush Park in Salem for the Arts Festival at the end of week four of the program.

We used a few flats as a back drop... built a larger-than-life toy box... painted three crash through drops... made endless amounts of props... and sent them off to the park.




The nice thing about the Park Play is that it is usually based on a book and the directors want the set to be similar to the book.  It makes research much more simple.  :)

I tried to get a few pictures of class this year.

We made color wheels....

learned various scenic painting techniques...

made our own gobos...

and how lighting works together with all the elements of the play...

We also worked on set pieces in class.  It was my goal to get the students to work more on the production pieces this year.

I also designed a set for Beauty and the Beast Jr.  for this set I used a turn table so that we could more easily change from Gaston's pub to the Beast's Castle. The stage is challenging because it is not deep.  It has a large apron yet no wing space.  There is also no fly space.  This makes scene changes a challenge because there is no place to store set pieces or props.  You can have actors or you can have props.  Its' hard to fit them both on that goofy stage.


I made three small moving triangle wagon that were the forest on 2 sides and opened up into houses for the village on the third side.


I had my husband and my friend Roger Shinkle help me create a working machine for Maurice.


We gathers antlers from various friends and added them to the set.


My husband worked hard on helping me get my rose to glow on the set.
We also built thrones, tables, and a magic mirror.


It turned out great and most of it got in a truck and moved to Central High School for their fall production of Beauty and the Beast.  Good thing we made them durable.


The library show needed three houses with fences.  I used old fence wood for the fences.  We made flats with doors of the houses.


I found a cool painting to base the look of the houses on.


We even add flower boxes.  To tell the truth, this was my favorite set for the CET season.  I think it turned out so cute!


This show was also very prop heavy.  The hardest prop to find was a bathtub.


We finally located one, but it was a mess...


Dani and Tyler rolled it down the street to wash it.  It was quite the site!

The seventh year show did Aladdin Jr.  The Tech department doesn't usually help with the year 7 show.  However, we had a little extra time in construction class so we built boxes for them and a little extra time in paint class so we marbles columns for them.


My friend Jeff did a great job with all the rest of the tech.  He even learned to sew!

 The side walks outside South Salem have never been cleaner.  Tyler was instructed to help a few students move the paint cabinet.  Let's just say it didn't go well.  We ended cleaning 5 gallons of spilled paint.  GAH!!!!




Oh.... and my banners I made last year made another appearance on the Midsummer Stage.  I am glad I did that project.  I love that I don't have to reinvent the wheel ever year for those productions.

So that is that.  Sadly, I am so busy that I never am able to take any real pictures of the set.  I didn't even get pictures of the models I made this year.  I really just need someone to follow me around with a camera.  I'm serious.  No one would ever believe just how much work I do in those 5 weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …