Sunday, July 5, 2015

June Report

 June started like most months around here... fast and furious.  As soon as the calendar clicked over to the blessed summer month we began Graduation Week.  This is a busy week for me as I help with many activities at the high school... including graduation.  It's a process to get things to sound nice in that large outdoor space... and I get super tired.  The next day there is no time for rest because the school books a rental.  Told you it is a crazy week.
This year Hannah's best friend from childhood graduated.  Hannah and Sai don't have many of the same activities.  Sai is into sport, Hannah is not.  Hannah likes to perform, Sai does not.  Sai is tall, Hannah is not.  Hannah is even older than Sai.  But Sai is super smart and skipped a grade and so now she is off to play basketball at college on a full ride scholarship.  It's crazy to think that these two won't be able to cheer each other on in person this next school year.  I guess they will have to do that from afar.
Hannah got into the student government class for her Senior year (She will be in charge of reading the morning announcements to the school and encouraging involvement in school clubs).  As a result, she went to the coast for a retreat to learn the ways of student government students.  This was also her last chance to play with her friend Reba for the summer.  Reba was heading off to some South American or Central American country for the summer.  Reba is also into sports and although has been in a couple plays and in choir in the past, this next year she is going to play a sport each season... even football.  They won't be doing so much together I guess.
Hannah cut her hair... ok... she got bangs and trimmed all the layers.  Her hair is finally looking more normal.  After dying it blonde (for Eponine in Les Miserables) and then dying is dark brown (for the Witch in Into the Woods) her hair needed a rest.  Besides, I didn't have the money to pay for long hair to change again and she didn't have the time.  I'm pretty sure she had a rehearsal most days... well... I know she was super busy all year long because she was hardly ever home.

 I was driving down the back roads to work on a job when a terrible noise came from my car.  I lloked in the rear view and noticed bits and stuff bouncing on the road... then my car stopped moving.  Engine sounded just fine.  We had just put in $2000 into it.  But the transmission was a goner.  What to do?  After weighing the options, John came and got me and we went and signed our life away for me to drive a new-to-me truck. I love it! Not crazy about the car payment for the first in years.  R.I.P Suburban.
 I went to Seminary Graduation.  I had these students as young bright eyed freshmen.  I didn't get to teach them again until they got to their last semester of their senior year.  Love these kids!  I know they have great things in their futures.
We went on a road trip together.  The Mabee family decided to to meet up in the Redwood forest in northern California.  Chad and Hannah helped Kimber along in her car.  It was her first time driving on the freeway.  There were a couple scary moments, but overall, she did a great job.  It was stressful so Chad ended up driving most of the way for her.  
We had to hang out at a rest stop to give Kimber's car a break.  Back when we were kids, John and I had make up games and stuff on long drives.  Now days, kids are entertained by electronics.

We recreated a family photo...

We performed family skits.

We celebrated Grandpa's birthday with his favorite - Dr. Pepper.

We ate tons of food.

We stayed at this cool house.

We visited the northern California windy beach.

We played around with family.

We looked at big trees.

I crocheted.

We played and listened to music.

We played games with cousins.

We watched cool sunsets.

We listened to talk radio.

We made new friends. 

We played in the river and even got brave and jumped off rocks and floated down small rapids.

We were entertained by the goofy family.

and we told tall tales (Dave).
Meanwhile, Chad got a girl friend.  Her name is Lanae and she is super cool.  She leaves for a mission to the mid-west in a few weeks.  We hope she keeps Chad because we'd like to keep her.

June is the month of the annual Jessop team competing in the Cannon Beach Sandcastle competition.  Hannah went out to Cannon Beach with them for a week to practice and to be on the team.

This year a film crew followed them around and asked them all about competing.  Their story will air in the fall on OPB's show, Oregon field guide.

They spend hours and hours on the beach.

Eventually, Chad, John and Lillian joined them for a couple of days of camping and beach fun.

I think Chad's favorite part was hanging out with his best friend Jonathan. 

And Lanae...

Hannah even got him to ride a horse.  When she told me the story I was imagining a noble steed... then I saw the picture.

Here is their completed competition plot...

it made them happy....

Impressive don't you think?

They won 3rd place in the Master's Division... which means they won some money...  not bad for a family and a few friends playing at the beach for their hobby.

Meanwhile, I stayed at home.  I had work to do so that I would be ready for CET... which started the week after Sandcastle competition.

I took pool noodles and pop bottles and a little bit of paint and turned it into...

THIS!  A new arch for CET.  I will blog about it later since it was a Pinterest success.

Also, while everyone was gone, John, Lanae, and I attended Chad's graduation from Chemekata Community College Early college Program.  One more class and he will have completed his Oregon Transfer Degree as well.  We are super proud of him!

A week later (and a year after it was earned) we attended a small Eagle Court of Honor for Chad.

Somehow, Yvonne convinced Chad to do the Court of Honor with Jacob... he didn't want anything big either.

Let's see.... in June we also played with cute grand-kids... 

I didn't get to go to Nebraska to get my award from the International Thespian Society.  Instead, I walked across the stage at Central and waved to empty seats.  Then my goofy friends at CET gave me a certificate.

Also, in June, CET started.  Really, CET is reserved for the July blog post, since it will occupy the majority of the month of July.  I can say that Lilli loves her classes and her show.  I don't get Hannah in my tech hall because she has been moved around so I don't see her much.  It is far too hot for humans... and we are moving through the program quickly. 

So there is the report.  I covered most of the things I did.  One of these days the other people in my life should blog or journal so that people could see life from their perspective... but that is not likely to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment