Skip to main content

August Report

We got the family pictures back that John Hatch helped us take when McKay and Myles came for a visit.

These are a few of my favorites.

It was tough to get Lenayah to smile that day.


The re-creation of the traditional "kid" photo.

The first weekend of August most of the family hopped into the truck and the new Honda and took off to Utah for a visit with family.

The first stop:  Bend and an awesome sunset.

Got to love this old house.

The next day they headed through Idaho toward McKay's house in Logan.  I thought it would be cool if they stopped and took a picture in front of as many temples as possible.  Instead, I got drive-by pictures.

They had fun visiting MyKay's family.

Papa john was left in charge of the babies... risky!

They even got some snuggle time in.

They celebrated Chad's birthday on his real birthday.

And the attended the Logan Temple...

They went to the Logan Zoo...






They played in McKay's yard.

Then they packed up and went to eastern Utah to visit dinosaur land with all the Boyack cousins.  Everyone was brave because they had to take 2 cars and Kimber, Chad, and Hannah all had to drive on freeways.  They all lived.














They stayed near Dutch John....

and went rafting the next day.  It was a fairly quiet river.  They got to water fight though.


Kimber and her kids got to visit with Ray's grandparents.  She wasn't up for the river trip.

Kimber and Lilli exercised every day...

John took Lilli and a cousin or two to the water park.  His phone went for a swim too.

Then the packed up and went to Heber Valley to some girl's camp and stayed in cabins and played games and went on zip lines and stuff.

Ben met a new friend...


Ben even tried the zip line...

Lilli walked across this scary bridge...

Kimber tried it too...

These guys didn't know they had to wear pants and only brought shorts.  The people running the camp offered to let them borrow these stylish pants.


Not sure what is with this "selfie" crazy... but that was all the rage.

After the camping they all went back to Springville to take family pictures...




On the way home they stopped in Salt Lake to see two our favorite missionaries who were now home.

meanwhile, I stayed home and went to Addams family rehearsal.  This was my view for the week... Dani on her phone...

... ancestors stalking the leads...

... and this crazy game of speed dating I ask the cast to play so that they could get to know their characters better.

It was peach season.

Hannah went with me and we picked peaches.


Then we canned peach salsa and regular peaches and regular salsa from the tomatoes in my garden.

The only rain all summer came for 15 minutes while we were canning outside...


It soaked us.





We loved our letters from Lanae while she was in Utah at the MTC...


And when she got to Iowa.

Lilli went to girls camp.







We said good bye to a fun missionary.  God speed Elder Walters.

John went with some friend and packed into Mink Lake.






I stayed home and taught lessons... and I got a sub license.  Now I can get paid to take Witt's classes at the high school.  :)

John took the girls to see Wicked.


Hannah helped me prep for my Seminary Super Summer Activity by filling water balloons with water and shaving cream.











It was a success!  The following day I had my fireside.  I have now met with 18 students.  not a bad turn out.  We will have to see how seminary shakes out when school starts.





After my activity we went to Autumn's wedding.  It was sweet.  Nice to see her finally get married after being with Jason for 19 years.  May her next stop be the temple!

We celebrated Freya's first birthday!!!




So that was the month.  There was a ton of coming and going... I stayed home.  It got lonely after a while, but I got used to it.  We are now about to start Hannah's senior year in high school.  Lilli will be a 7th grader.  Chad will hopefully get a job soon.  I didn't have very much to say this time because I didn't go on any of the adventures.  Hopefully the people who did go will record what they thought and what they did for some posterity to read about one day.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …