Skip to main content

September and October - so it got away from me...

So, I've been crazy busy and have been pathetic, at best, in getting some kind of blog post out.  I do have a real reason... I am not at my deck much.  I am constantly on the go.  School started.  That means Seminary started.  I spend lots of time running people to and from activities.  I did a ton of running to and from rehearsals, volunteering at the school, teaching voice lessons, and ignoring the house.  I even was a substitute teacher for a couple of classes.  Let me tell you... teaching is hard.  RESPECT!  

Hannah is now a SENIOR.  She has a full load including on line classes to get credits she needs to graduate because she has used her credits on her electives so that she can get more experience in the subjects that interest her (voice and theater). That means college applications are just around the corner.  We will talk later about what kept her most busy.  Hannah was also celebrated at Academic All Stars for her grades.  She is one sharp cookie!  Hannah had some great outfits for Homecoming Spirit Week.  Too bad I never got a camera out to take a picture.  I know.  I'm lame. She missed Homecoming because it was the same night as Opening Night for Addams Family.  However, she has been able to go to a couple football games to support her friend Reba who is the first girl on the football team.  Reba is the kicker.  Hannah is her Super Fan!  Central is doing Seussical the Musical for the fall play (performing the 1st 2 weekends of December).  Hannah auditioned and got the role of Gertrude.

Lilli is in 7th grade.  She in choir class at the middle school.  She missed most dance classes in October because she was at Addams Family rehearsals of performances.  However, she cherished every opportunity she had to go to class.  She did get to go to most of the classes she helps teach.  She may like that better than she likes to dance.  :)  She also LOVES going to Young Women's activities at church.

Chad tried a couple of jobs and finally landed one he enjoys.  He works at a group home for people with disabilities.  He is happy with this job. 

John started a new job.  He is now traveling back up to Forest Grove.  The company has changed hands a couple times and now he is working for the same company he worked for when he was in Dallas.  How crazy is that?  Despite the commute, he is much happier with this new job.

Hannah got very sick the week we were opening Addams Family and only got to go to a few hours of the Symphonic Choir retreat.  Still, she had fun.  Jeff Witt does a great job with those kids.

The real reason I could blog is Addams Family.  Most of September was spent moving into the theater.  (I will blog specifically about the show in a different post).



Lilli was a star dancer.  She even got mentioned in one of the reviews of the show.



Hannah was a fantastic Wednesday... and thankfully, she got her voice back for the run of the show.




Kimber did a great job with choreography.  Her dances were fun, fresh and did exactly what I wanted them to do.








My mom and dad made it to the show.  That was super fun.  We added a show to the run because all the seats sold out.  That gave my parents the opportunity to come and see the show.



We spent time Skyping with McKay, Myles, and Lenayah.  Freya and Lenayah love to see each other on the computer.  They are so sweet and so cute.  Being a grandparent is the best!




October had some disappointments and some triumphs.  However, my favorite activity of the month was watching General Conference.  These are some of my favorite messages of the Conference.

John went up to Trunk or Treat this year... as did Lilli

I started up to the Church late and saw the rain....


It seemed to me to be a good time to have some "me" time.  I stayed home and watched a movie.


Meanwhile, they got SOAKED.  The silly people.


Hannah dressed up with two friends as Disney Princesses.


They went to a local flower shop to  earn money by taking pictures with little kids for a school project they are in this spring... "Mr. and Ms. Central".


They were fairly popular.  Why wouldn't they be?  They were super cute!


Hannah sang in her last Fall Concert of her high school career.


Her choirs sang some great pieces.


So... that wraps up September and October... just in time to start the November report.  LOL.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Study... Title page and testimony of the witnesses

According to the Prophet Joseph Smith, “the title-page of the Book of Mormon is a literal translation, taken from the very last leaf, on the left hand side of the collection or book of plates, which contained the record which has been translated, the language of the whole running the same as all Hebrew writing in general; and that said title page is not by any means a modern composition, either of mine or of any other man who has lived or does live in this generation” (History of the Church, 1:71).


That means it’s scripture too! That is why today I start my Book of Mormon study with the title page.

I am part of the House of Israel. My children and their children are a part of the House of Israel. This Book is written for me and for them.

I love that the Title page declares that this book is a “gift”… now this book I am marking will become a “gift” for my grandson. How cool is that? I feel like Nephi, writing my testimony of Jesus Christ and of the gospel plan as I study God’s word so …

An Open Letter to Those Who Hate The School Dress Code

I have noticed a ton of resistance to dress codes in schools.  I have something to say... get over it.  
A dress code is not about body shaming.  It is not about control.  It's not about taking away individuality. The dress code is not about making social divisions.  It is not about taking away individual rights.
A dress code is about keeping a professional environment where real work happens.  Contrary to popular belief, woman don't get to wear whatever they want when ever they want in "the real world." Every profession has some kind of dress code.  Nurses, doctors, real estate brokers, vets, and even McDonald's workers have a dress code.  Even farmers and day labors wear clothing appropriate to the work they do.  School is a professional environment where the student's "job" is to be the student - to learn - and the teachers' job is to open the possibilities in young minds and to create an environment where people - all people - can learn.  Th…

Once-a-Slightly Over Month Cooking

Today may be the last day of the year, but it was the first day of the month around the Boyack house.  Today was Once-a-Month-Cooking day.  The funny thing is that it usually ends up lasting longer than a month.  Our last big cooking day lasted from September to now.  The thing is, I don't always pull from the freezer.  Weekend we cook from scratch.  However, with my voice lessons in late afternoons and sometimes play practice or performance I am too tired to think about dinner.  Making dinner ahead saved me so much money from September to Christmas that I was able to pay for half of Christmas from the savings from the food budget.  Plus, we had much healthier meals!

After collecting which recipes we wanted to make, and making a shopping list, John headed to the store around noon.  We started the cooking and assembly around 1:00 and ended all the cooking by 7:00.  In that time we made 35 dinners.  We have the fix-in's in the cupboard to make 15 more quick and easy meals.  We …